Commerce High School split region games last week, dropping to 4-3 overall and 2-1 in Region 8-A.
Hebron Christian Academy edged the Tigers 1-0 in Dacula last Thursday (March 6) after Commerce mounted just two hits against fierce Lions pitching.
Hebron (5-1 overall, 2-0 in region play) walked three batters and struck out 14 en route to the victory.
Pitching for Commerce, Colton Davis struck out 10, walked three and gave up the only run of the game.
“The big difference in that game was they believed they could win,” coach Steve Cotrell said, “and we didn’t.”
The Tigers showed strong improvement on Thursday, downing Athens Academy 10-3 in Commerce.
Colton Davis went 3-for-4, including a first-inning grand slam and five RBI. Josh Swistak went 2-for-2 with an RBI and two walks.
Robert Hayes earned two hits and the win. He gave up two earned runs and six hits in six innings pitched.
George Walton Academy (7-2 overall, 4-0 in the region), have taken the early lead in the region standings. Commerce is scheduled to meet the Bulldogs in the teams’ first battle next Tuesday in Commerce.
This week’s schedule
• 5:30 p.m. Thursday, March 15 at Riverside Military
• 5:30 p.m. Friday, March 16 verses Lakeview at Tiger Field*
• 4 p.m. Saturday, March 17 at Banks County
• 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 20 verses George Walton at Tiger Field
• 5:30 p.m. Thursday, March 22 verses Social Circle at Tiger Field
* CHS plays at the city’s recreation department.