Banks County Recreation Department is making some changes to the youth football and cheerleading programs offered by the department as BCRD joins the North Georgia Youth Football Association (NGYFA), playing in the “Southern Conference” with Commerce, Jackson County and Jefferson and including non-conference games against either White or Rabun.
Main changes from the past years include:
• All games played on Saturday, only makeup games during the week. Games begin Aug. 20 and end Nov. 5, with games played Labor Day weekend.
• Admisson charged at all games, $2 for adults ages 19-54, $1 for ages 7-18, free for ages six -under and 55 and over.
• Practice begins July 25 - helmets only; full pads week of July 30. Each team is allowed three practices per week, during the pre-season no longer than one hour and 45 minutes. During the season, only two of the three can be one hour and 45 minutes, the third practice will be one hour, helmets only.
• Age control date is Aug. 1, 2011. Birth certificates are required to be turned in at registration.
• No weight limit is in effect for any age division.
• Limit to the number of coaches on the field (football and cheerleaders). All must wear their team badges during the game. Badges will be issued prior to the season.
• A mandatory meeting for all coaches will be announced at a later date.
• Registration dates are ongoing until May 27 for football (ages 5-6 $40 /ages 7-12, $60); for cheerleading (ages 5-12 $ 60 or if participant has last year’s uniform $40) and for soccer (ages 5-12 $40) After the above dates, registration will continue thru June 17 with a $15 late fee added.
• Equipment handout dates will be, June 18 and July 9 from 9 a.m. until noon.